Friday, November 7, 2014

Challenges

Daughter of Gods and Shadows is my first attempt at writing dark fantasy.  I’ve been writing for years in the genre of women’s fiction, but I’ve loved science fiction my whole life, so I’m grateful for this opportunity to try my hand at it, and honestly, I’m scared shitless.  It’s one thing to write fact-based fiction using an existing world as your platform, but quite another to build a whole new world from scratch.  Most of the time, I found it hard to take any of this world business seriously, as my logical mind kept trying to kick in and yell, “Hey!  That’s just not possible!”. 

I came to the conclusion that writing the impossible is way more fun than writing reality.  Four years and six rewrites later, I got pretty desperate and stumbled across this final version of a story that is far bigger than I am, and so much more than I could’ve imagined.  I pushed myself to make this happen, pushed beyond some boundaries that I didn’t even know were there, and I’m so glad that I did.  Regardless of what happens with this series, I know that I have loved taking this journey and I’m a better person for it.


No comments:

Post a Comment